MOTHER NATURE UNLIMITED
(email: firstname.lastname@example.org Â? (M) 07956 486 146)
(HOLISTIC LIFESTYLE BASED ON NATUROPATHY AND YOGA)
Document No. 1 Â? A Healthy Heart:
Health is an ongoing processÂ?not a one-time attempt.
The goal is to heal disease and promote positive healthÂ?not just to suppress symptoms or "quick-fix the problem"!
This document serves as a practical guide to those who wish to achieve holistic health through complementary and alternative therapies. The objective of this document is to strengthen the heart, lower LDL ("bad cholesterol) and heal heart-related diseases.
(Please note: Research on the medicinal uses of herbs and complementary therapies is not yet definitive. If you already take prescription drugs, have a serious or chronic medical condition, or are just unsure if these remedies are appropriate for you, please consult with your physician before using them.)
Heart Disease: Illnesses connected with heart disease include:
1. Atherosclerosis: Fatty material (high cholesterol) causes the arteries to narrow restricting the flow of blood to the body including heart and brain.
Health Tips for a Healthy Heart:
1. Garlic: helps to reduce high blood pressure and lowers cholesterol levels. Some of its medicinal qualities are:
· Lowers LDL Cholesterol
· Lowers blood pressure
· Helps to regulate blood sugar
· Powerful antibiotic
· Helps to prevent blood-clots from forming
Steamed garlic is more palatable and retains its nutritional value.
· Beneficial in rheumatoid arthritis
· Helps relieve stomach gas
5. Ginkgo Biloba: improves blood flow through the heart and brain by opening the arteries.
6. Valerian Root: calms the nervous system and helps to lower blood pressure.
7. Echinacea: This North American herb leads to more active immune system by stimulating white blood cells, which attach the viruses and bacteria that lead to illness or infection. Echinacea can be used as a herbal tea sold in health shops.
Ayurveda also uses a cleansing program called Pancha Karma. This begins with herbal massages and an herbal steam sauna, followed by fasting to cleanse the body. This is followed by an herbal purge for the liver, pancreas and spleen. Colon Therapy is next in order to cleanse the digestive tract and then to reconstitute the system.
and is beneficial in hypertension and diabetes.
· Mai Men Dong (or Ophiopogon)
· Tian Hua Fen (or Trichosanthis)
Chinese medicine for cholesterol and Coronary Heart Disease:
· The herb, Shan Zha, otherwise know as Hawthorn berry, can help lower bad cholesterol.
· Cholestin (red rice yeast): a Chinese herbal remedy helps to lower cholesterol levels.
These medicines can be found at Chinese herbal stores.
North American ginseng improves blood sugar level.
Bilberry berries are beneficial in diabetes and heart problems.
blood purification, liver detoxification and colon cleansing.
beneficial in heart problems. It is vital that these juices should be
fresh. Please see my document No.2 which highlights miraculous
benefits of wheatgrass and aloe vera juices.
All 3 juices mentioned above i.e. Wheatgrass, Aloe vera and Dudhi are dynamic juices which have unique and potent remedial qualities. They should ideally be taken fresh and on a regular basis.
for high blood pressure.
found in nutritional yeast, spinach, wheat germ, apple and carrots.
Pineapple is also an excellent source of vitamin C and manganese in
addition to vitamin B1, vitamin B6 and copper.
· Brewer's yeast
· Fenugreek seeds
· Bitter melon
LIFESTYLE CHANGES Â? "Treat the System not the Symptoms":
Avoid 5 "S":
· Salt (Avoid adding salt in cooking or at the table. Make use of herbs, spices, garlic, vinegar or lemon juice instead)
· Saturated Fats
· Sedentary lifestyle
Foods to avoid:
Vegetable salad should contain: cabbage, carrots, beetroot, celery, cucumbers, lettuce, broccoli, radishes, parsley, avocados, tomatoes, green onions and sprouts.
Swap sweets and chocolates for healthier snack items such as fruit, raw vegetables or dried fruit.
Eat at least five portions of fruit and vegetables a day. If possible add papaya in your portion of fruit. It helps to detoxify the body.
Eat wholegrain complex carbohydrates with every meal.
Switch from full fat to low fat spreads and dairy products.
It is healthier to eat at home because we can control what goes into the
food we prepare. Here are some tips:
· Use skim or low fat milk
· Roast, bake or steam. Do not fry
· Use healthier oils such as olive, canola or sunflower
· Do not use tinned food ingredients in cooking
The following power foods are full of vitamins, antioxidants, omega 3's and other nutrients. Include them in you diet as snacks and part of meals:
51. Healthy substitute for caffeine: Substitute tea and coffee for herbal tea made from fresh herbs such as amla, tulsi/basil, ginger, turmeric, lemon, mint and cranberries. (Please refer to my document on preparing herbal tea and the medicinal benefits of each of its constituents.)
mind and body by relieving stress. The benefits are:
· Helps to eliminate toxins from body
· Increases body metabolism
· Deep cleanses Â? hydrates skin
· Boosts immune system
· Beneficial in asthma and arthritis
Join a health club or a gym (which has spa facilities including sauna
· Removes toxins and waste products
· Keeps skin healthy and glowing
· Helps you lose weight
· Helps digestion
· Keeps you more alkaline
I suggest the following to be performed regularly:
Duration: minimum of 1 hr every day
· Asanas: various Asanas including Mandukasana (diabetic pose)
Join a reputable Yoga class. Practising Yoga in group environment
can be a vital source of motivation and inspiration.
· People with back problems can do these exercises with relative ease
· It gives that "extra time" in the mornings and evenings when you are in the bed to benefit from these miraculous exercises.
· Pranayama (e.g. Kapalbhati, Ujjayi and/or Agnisar)
· Facial massage using almond oil
· Chinese self massage
· Acupressure on hands and feet
Prepare yourself for a change! Detoxification - An ideal
It is vital to undertake a process of purification and rejuvenation if you have decided to change your lifestyle!
1) I suggest that you should undergo a reputable Naturopathy and Yoga course of programme for at least 20 days at a reputable Naturopathy and Yoga centre. In addition to detoxifying yourself there you will be able to learn, practice and experience the basic rules of naturopathy and yoga, which will include:
· Colon irrigation: An injection of large amounts of fluids through the anus for cleansing purposes i.e. a water enema give to flush out the large intestine.
· Yogic Kriyas: There are six classical Kriyas mentioned in the Hatha Yoga. In the centre you will be able to learn and practice these Kriyas such as Jalneti, Laghu Sankh Prakshalan (LSP) and Vaman. They help to prevent the build up of mucus and cleanse internal organs.
· Basic principles of naturopathy based on diet & nutrition: They include not mixing cooked and uncooked foods together in our diets, controlled fasting on fruit juices etc.
· More than anything such centres will help you to condition yourself for a healthy, holistic lifestyle.
2) Panchkarma: Detoxify your body through Panch Karma, which is an Ayurvedic process of five therapies. The value of Pancha Karma is that it offers systematic treatment for dislodging and flushing toxins from every cell, using the same organs of elimination that the body naturally employs i.e. sweat glands, blood vessels, the urinary tract and the intestines.
Panch Karma therapy can promote good health, prevent diseases and acquire longevity. However, it should be done at a reputable centre. On average it should take about 20 days to complete this detoxifying course.
For above mentioned detoxification and conditioning process, I suggest the following centres: (1) Institute of Naturopathy and Yogic Sciences (also called "Jindal), Bangalore, India (2) Kaivalyadhama, Lonavala, India. (3) Arya Vaidya Sala, Kottakkal, Malappuram (Dist.), Kerala, India (4) Navjivan Cure Cenre, Kutch, India.
If you have any questions or queries on the contents of the document, or wish to join my Yoga and holistic health classes, please do not hesitate to contact me. My contact details are as follows:
Dipak Jashapara BA (HONS) MICHT (Holistic Health)
Mother Nature Unlimited
Mobile: 07956 486 146
About the author:I am a qualified lecturer in complementary, alternative and holistic therapies. I also run teach Yoga, aromatherapy, Thai and Ayurvedic Body Massage, Reflexology, Reiki, Kundlini meditation and Indian Head Massage. Please email me for further information.
To subscribe, simply enter your email address below: